Benefits of Becoming
a Maryland Green School or Center
What is happening quietly in every classroom on a daily basis is an increased emphasis that our students have a vital role to play as “environmental stewards.
– Riderwood Elementary, Baltimore County.
In addition to the numerous proven benefits of environmental education, there are multiple rewards and incentives for MAEOE’s Green Schools and Green Centers.
The Maryland Green School Program promotes:
- School-wide or Center-wide pride in environmental activities
- A structure for encouraging community partnerships
- Visibility as a model for other schools and for the local neighborhood. Your example helps promote environmental education throughout the community
Incentives and rewards:
- Maryland Green School flag
- Statewide and local county/city recognition
- Free gift of a native MD tree from Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Tree-Mendous Maryland “Gift of Tree” Program
- One to one match on future Tree-Mendous Maryland tree orders through Maryland DNR
- Upon recertification of Green School/Green Center: Statewide and local county/city recognition, certificate, and other gifts