Download the Application Guide for more detailed information. This guide includes information on Applications 1-5. Download the Online Portal Guide for step-by-step directions on how to create an account and start uploading information and documentation.
- All schools will submit applications using the NEW Online Application Portal.
- All sections of the application will be submitted through the online portal.
- View recordings of the Application Info Session and the Online Portal Training for more info.
- Schools are still required to reapply every four years to maintain their Green School status.
- Depending on when you received Sustainable Green School status, you'll be required to reapply in the below listed year.
4th Application Successfully Submitted
Intent to Apply Deadline
2017 or earlier
2018, 2019, 2020
Complete and submit the following required application materials.
- Intent to Apply: To submit your Intent to Apply fee of $75 by December 16, 2022, you must first create an account using the online portal, https://marylandgreenschools.org/. Pay the fee using a credit card. If a check must be used to pay the fee, mail the checks payable to MAEOE at P.O. Box 1103 Edgewater, MD 21037. MAEOE will mark the fee as paid in the portal once the check is received. You won’t be able to submit your application until the fee is paid.
- Cover Sheet: Within the portal, complete the school information and include the principal’s digital signature, along with the principal’s name and email address.
- One-page summary: Within the portal, include a brief description of your school’s green culture and examples of sustainable changes that the school has made to become greener.
- Top five accomplishments: Within the portal include one sentence or phrase for each accomplishment. These will be read at the Youth Summit Awards Ceremony.
- School Metrics Survey: Within the portal complete the school survey. This data allows MAEOE to quantify students’ green achievements and shows the impact of MD Green Schools on the environment.
- Objectives 1, 2, and 3: Within the portal, complete the application items for each of the objectives. Applications 5 and Beyond ONLY will complete a simplified version of the application (following this template). Three separate reviewers will evaluate your application using this rubric. Look at the rubric to ensure your information and documentation are adequate.
- Applications 4, 5, and Beyond Only: One-page goal summary: Within the portal, describe your green school goals for the next 4 years, 8 years, and 12 years. Include how to make them successful, the people who will be involved, and what outcomes you expect from goals.
- Submit your application by 11:59 pm on March 17, 2023.
- Register for the MD Green Schools Youth Summit on Thursday, May 18, 2023. This is a celebration for all schools in Maryland. Schools with successful Green Schools applications will be recognized. More info can be found here.
On This Page
An outline of the requirements for new, recertifying, sustainable and recertifying sustainable schools.