The MAEOE Environmental Education Certification Program is a
portfolio-based certification program, where applications are accepted year-round, dedicated to improving training and resources for professional environmental educators.
Based of the standards set by North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE), certification requires that applicants demonstrate competency in the areas of:
- Environmental literacy
- Foundations of environmental education
- Professional responsibilities
- Planning and implementing environmental education
- Fostering learning
- Assessment and evaluation
Applicants should have at least two years of field experience. Scholarships are available based upon need and veterans may qualify under the Veterans Education Assistance Act.
We have two tracks: Master Certification and Certification. Master certification is meant for people with a minimum of five years of experience while certification has two years of experience. Formal and non-formal educators are encouraged to apply. Please note, this is NOT a certification from MSDE and does not qualify you to teach in a public school.
- Certification expands opportunities for professional growth and advancement.
- Effective environmental educators benefit from interdisciplinary training in a range of subjects, such as science, social studies, economics and education.
- High quality environmental education supports education reform goals and can positively impact school performance.
Why Get Certified?
The video below provides a deep look at the certification process.
Want to learn more? Email us today!
On This Page
The MAEOE Environmental Education Certification Program is a portfolio-based certification program, where applications are accepted year-round, dedicated to improving training and resources for professional environmental educators.