The Maryland Association for Environmental and Outdoor Education has established a Conference Scholarship program to assist high school and college students, classroom teachers, and beginning (1-2 years experience) outdoor center educators attend the annual conference. Annual scholarship funds are derived from the previous year's conference Silent Auction. As such, the amount of funds varies each year.
I would recommend the conference to educators of all walks of life – I teach social studies and math and my eyes were opened to some of the exciting ways to bring environmental education into my classroom! -Meghan O’Leary
The scholarship covers the cost of standard conference registration fee only. Thursday and Friday workshops, transportation, and accommodations are not included.
All completed applications that are received by the deadline will be reviewed by the MAEOE Scholarship Selection Panel. Your privacy is of the utmost concern. All information included in the application will be kept private and confidential.
After filling out the general application information, you will have to answer the following questions:
1. What do you want to gain from attending the conference?
2. How do you plan to apply what you have learned from the conference?
3. Please describe your prior involvement with MAEOE.
4. Please explain your need for a scholarship.
- Open only to students, teachers, and non-formal educators associated with Maryland based schools or organizations
- You must agree to become a member of MAEOE to take advantage of the scholarship
- This must be the first MAEOE conference you have ever attended
- You must commit to writing a post-conference summary of your experience
- You are expected to take full advantage of this opportunity
- Funds cannot be applied for future conferences
Selection will be based on the following criteria:
- demonstrated financial need
- commitment to environmental/outdoor education
- demonstrated an interest in MAEOE outside the scholarship application
- well thought out professional development plan
- overall presentation of materials
Bonus Points Awarded for:
- teachers that come as a team from their school - up to 3 teachers may apply from one school.
- outdoor center educators working at a Certified Maryland Green Center.
- applications from one of MAEOE's geographic priority areas - Western Maryland, Eastern Shore, Baltimore City
Terms and Conditions
- Applicants must be MAEOE members.
- If selected for a scholarship you must volunteer 2 hours of your time at the conference.
- Scholarship recipients must submit a post-conference summary (due by March 31st).
- Scholarship funds can only be used for the 2018 conference.
- Awardees must register for the conference by the early bird deadline.